Property worth KSh7 million was destroyed Tuesday, January 30 morning after fire gutted a dormitory at Kiwawa Boys Secondary School in Kacheliba, West Pokot County.
The fire, whose cause has not been ascertained, burned the students’ beds, mattresses, beddings, schools uniforms, boxes, books and other items to ashes.
Speaking to TV47, the school principal — Luku Tokoi — said more than 140 students have been affected by the fire, suspecting that it was caused an electric fault.
The county disaster management team is setting camp at the school to come up with a report on the exact cause of the fire.
The team has also donated 60 mattresses and 30 blankets to the affected students, who have now turned their classrooms into make-shift dormitories.
The head of disaster preparedness and management in the country, David Chepolion, said that the department will help the school return to normalcy.
Story by Andrew Juma, TV47 Correspondent in West Pokot County