More than 10,000 workers at three major United States car manufacturers on Friday, September 15, started strike action, their union has reported.
The workers started their strike Friday morning after labour contracts expired on Thursday night.
The workers’ strike has paralyzed activities at three plants owned by General Motors (GM), Ford, and Stellantis.
According to the United Autoworkers Union (UAW), the employees chose to strike after the firms failed to offer acceptable terms and conditions for their contracts.
According to BBC News, the workers’ strike is likely to trigger higher prices for buyers and major disruptors for car manufacturers.
UAW’s president Shawn Fain told the BBC that the workers will call off the strike if their employers show commitment to resolving the dispute.
“When they start taking care of their workers it will end,” he said.
The strike started at GM’s Wentzville, Missouri mid-size truck plant, Ford’s Bronco plant in Michigan, and the Jeep plant in Toledo, Ohio owned by Stellantis.
According to the workers’ union, other car manufacturing firms will continue with their usual operations.
However, the union leader told news reporters that if the strike is not addressed urgently, other firms may be convinced to join the strike.
Reliable sources had earlier indicated that President Joe Biden had spoken with union officials about the strike notice, although details of their discussion were not made public.
Ford, which is one of the vehicle manufacturers affected by the striking workers noted that the union had suggested a 40 percent salary increase.
In a statement, Ford noted that the suggested salary increase was too high, almost double its labour costs.